April 1, 2014 – March 31, 2015
The Duxbury Land Trust (DLT) observed its twentieth anniversary in October 2014.
A year of Reflection and Planning – Reviewing 20 Years
- Ridley Brook Swimming Hole – 11 acres – 10 Acres Purchased, 1 Acre Donated 1995
- Devlin Road – 25 acres – Conservation Easement Donated 1999
- Ridley Brook Frontage – 5 acres – Property Donated 2004
- Former State Farm – 73 acres – Conservation Easement Donated 2004
- Ridley Brook Frontage – 13 acres – Purchased 2011
- Former State Farm – 192 acres – 2 Conservation Easements Donated 2014
Total Conserved = 319 acres
Future Conservation – Father Logue’s Camp and Forest, Parks, and Recreation Land
Board members participated in discussions regarding conserving the former Father Logue camp property and an adjacent 137 acres of forest land. The goal is to transfer both properties to the Town of Duxbury with a conservation easement held by the Duxbury Land Trust. Since both properties are under the control of the State of Vermont, legislative approval or an Executive Action is required for transfer. Duxbury voters unanimously approved having the Town pursue and acquire the properties at the 2015 Town Meeting. The land could potentially be used as a town forest.
Dowsville Headwaters Conservation Project
Board members have participated in meetings regarding conservation of 2080 acres of land in the Dowsville headwaters. Although not directly involved in purchasing the property, the DLT is supportive of the Trust for Public Land’s effort and may conduct some fundraising to assist the TPL complete the project.
Other Activities Completed During the Year:
- Conducted stewardship activities: monitored easements and prepared to mark boundaries on DLT owned property.
- Assessed erosion on Crossett Brook with Crossett Brook Middle School staff and Friends of the Winooski River.
- Published the annual newsletter.
- Coordinated Green-Up Day for the eighteenth year.
We extend many thanks and much appreciation to our members for supporting DLT’s mission of land conservation during the past year.